ESTABLISHMENT NIBC

where everything started

1944

NIBC was founded 75 years ago after the liberation of the Netherlands. But in fact, history goes back further. Back to the WW2, to 1944. On the Carnegieplein, where NIBC is currently based, stood the striking white Villa Kleykamp until 1944. Villa Kleykamp had been used by the Germans for the State Inspectorate of the Population Registers since 1941 to house the Central Population Register with duplicates of all issued identity cards. This enabled them to check false identity cards. In April 1944, the British Royal Air Force bombed this Population Register. This saved the lives of many people within the resistance and people in hiding. The new office of the National Investment Bank was built on the site of Villa Kleykamp in the mid sixties.

1945

NIBC was founded on 31 October 1945 as a Maatschappij tot Financiering van het Nationaal Herstel N.V. (also known as the Herstelbank). The first building where the Herstelbank was located was at Kneuterdijk 6 in The Hague currently known as the Johan de Witthuis. The objective of the NIBC was to finance the rebuilding of war damage and to initiate the industrialisation of the Netherlands by providing medium-term loans and participating in the share capital of companies. The State held 50.3% of the shares. The remaining 49.7% was held by commercial banks and institutional investors. Private investors were added later.

1955

In 1955 NIBC moved to its new premises on the Johan de Wittlaan/Statenlaan. The building still exists but the name "Herstelbank" has been removed from the facade and there is a large fence with security cameras around the building. The building is in use of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals. NIBC was largely owned by the government and was still involved in financing the industrialisation of the Netherlands.

1966

In 1963 the construction of the current head office on the Carnegieplein started. Across the street is a wellknown historic building: The Peace Palace.

From the seventies onwards

From the 1970s onwards, NIBC increasingly developed into an investment bank. This is also evident from the change of name in 1971 to the National Investment Bank.

NIBC became the financier of the restructuring of the Dutch business community and from the 1980s onwards, risk-bearing capital was more often provided to healthy companies. During this time, NIBC developed into a more commercial-oriented institution.

From the mid-1990s onwards, NIBC also developed internationally. The current offices in Belgium and the United Kingdom were opened in the 1990s and the Frankfurt office was added in 2005. NIBC was acquired by ABP and PGGM in 1999. This was confirmed by the change of name to NIB Capital. A new step in the development of the bank was taken with the acquisition by J.C. Flowers & Co. in 2005. This year the name of the bank was changed into the current one, NIBC.